Understanding car brake repairs do’s and don’ts can save you endless trouble and possibly save your life. Here’s a list of the most important things to do, as well as a few not to do:
- DO be alert for common signs of brake trouble. These can include: a scraping or screeching sound whenever you step on the brakes, a burning smell coming from the wheels, a feeling that the car is pulling to one side or the other when you apply the brakes, and of course, trouble stopping.
- DO stop as soon as possible after noticing brake trouble and avoid driving if possible until you resolve the issue. This is important both for your safety and that of others.
- DO build a relationship with a reputable auto service center before brake trouble begins. That way, you’ll have a go-to option lined up ahead of time.
- DO find out if your vehicle warranty covers car brake repairs. In most cases, you bear the financial responsibility for this type of work. However, it never hurts to double check.
- DON’T attempt the repairs yourself unless you’re absolutely sure you know what you’re doing. Vehicles made in the last few decades are far more complex than automobiles of the ’50s and ’60s. They include anti-locking features and other components that require the attention of a trained brake technician.
- DON’T pick a mechanic without first doing a little background work. Make sure the shop you choose enjoys a good reputation, has certified repair people, and offers free estimates. The few minutes you may spend verifying this information can save you endless headaches and hassles, both right away and in the future.
We hope this list of car brake repairs do’s and don’ts helps you be ready for what’s waiting for you down the road. And please consider Brake Works of San Antonio for all your auto maintenance needs. Be happy and stay safe.